Sunday, March 14, 2010

present for baby bailey & baby books

As I had mentioned in my earlier post, Nathan's former boss, Sabrina, recently gave birth to a baby girl! Bailey Louise Myers. So of course we were going to get her a fabulous gift- I love any excuse to go baby shopping.

Since Nathan obviously know Sabrina way better than I do, I asked him for some pointers in what to get. The guidelines Nathan gave me for my shopping was: nothing pink- and nothing too frilly.

So I went to Babies R Us, thinking it was going to be hard to find something super cute with no pink or frills and then...I saw it! The cutest most adorable little outfits in brown, yellow, and orange. No pink. No frills. Just super stylish, baby awesomeness!


And look! They are interchangeable! That's 4 outfits!

I was so psyched about my purchases that I had to call Nathan, squealing with excitement. I was able to contain myself enough not to invade his store and wait til he got to actually show him. He wasn't nearly as excited I as I was- but he did agree that they were cute and that Sabrina would probably love them. I have to admit- I secretly wanted to keep the outfits and store them away, just in case I have a girl one day. I love them THAT much.

Later that evening, Nathan had to fix a kiln at the Ahwatukee store, so I went with him and went to Barnes & Noble a couple shops over. I had like an hour to kill, so I headed over to the pregnancy and parenting section. I didn't buy anything- only because I am broke until next paycheck- but I did find a few to add to my shopping list.

I sat down and read a chapter or two out of the book about how to choose the sex of your baby. Don't worry, it's not genetic manipulation or anything like that- it's just things you can do that supposedly increase your odds of having one sex or the other. I had already read a lot of what was in that book on the Internet- but the book did go into a lot of detail about tracking exactly when you are ovulating and stuff like that. When it started talking about examining your cervical mucus on a daily basis to determine the best time to conceive, I kinda lost interest. That didn't sound super appealing to me, so I probably won't be back to buy that one.

A month or so back I was doing a bunch of research on the best ways to conceive a boy- but that was mainly because Nathan and I had only agreed on boys names up to that point and I was really excited about the names we had picked. Now we have girl names we like too, that I am equally excited about and it doesn't matter as much. We are going try a couple things that are supposed to increase the chances of a boy- but, sorry, I am not going to go as far as to checking my cervical mucus and tracking my body temperature and all that.

The next book I looked at talked about what foods are best to eat while you are pregnant. It broke it down by trimester and listed about 25 foods in each section that were best for you and the baby at that particular stage in the pregnancy. Then it broke it down by each food item listed and gave a full page about why it is good and all that. It also listed the foods that aren't so great. I thought that was pretty interesting, so I added it to my list of books to buy.

I flipped through some baby name books- but didn't really find any names that jumped out at me; which is totally fine because we have 2 or 3 boy names that we have agreed on a a couple girl names too. I am constantly running names I like by Nathan though- so I wanted to see if any caught my eye. Oh- sidebar on picking out baby names with your husband- this does not work the way I imagined it would when I was in junior high and high school picking out adorable baby names. All those cute little names I had in my mind for my future children were all vetoed by my husband! Finding names that we BOTH agree on, was a lot tougher than I thought it would be. I am glad we are thinking on it now, instead of stressing about it right before the baby debuts! So anyway, I am not going to spending any money on baby naming books.

The book I am getting for sure, that just about every pregnant mother gets- is the "What to Expect When You're Expecting." I flipped through and it has some good info. I'll probably go back and buy that one on the next paycheck. When I get closer to conception time, I want to get one of the pregnancy week by week books. I also want to pick up some of the expectant daddy books too- for Nathan. And for once the baby is actually here- I found a bunch of parenting books that I think would be interesting to read.

It was an enlightening trip to the bookstore. I will let you know when I actually buy the books, and the super interesting stuff I learn in my studies. =p

That's all for now! I'll probably post again when we delivery the present to Bailey and Sabrina!

No comments: